160 kilometres north of Port Augusta, South Australia
The Carrapateena mine is located 160 kilometres north of Port Augusta in South Australia and is one of Australia’s largest undeveloped copper deposits.
The mine will be a 4.25 million tonnes per annum underground mining operation, with an estimated mine life of 20 years.
The contract comprised both the design and construction of Carrapateena Aerodrome.
The scope of works included:
- Clear, grub and topsoil removal
- Sealing of runway and taxiway
- Linemarking of taxiway and runway
- Navigational aids including precision approach path indicator (PAPI) and lighting
- Security and stock fencing
The contract award was a significant milestone for NRW as it diversified in both client and geographical location.
At its peak of operations, 45 personnel were employed on site.