NAMMULDI WASTE FINES STORAGE FACILITY - STAGE 2 CIVIL WORKS
Nammuldi Waste Fines Storage Facility – Stage 2 Civil Works
60 kilometres north west of Tom Price, Western Australia
After successfully completing Stage 1 of the Waste Fines Storage Facility (WFSF) in 2014, NRW-NYFL were awarded the second stage of the project by Rio Tinto. The WFSF is located at the Nammuldi mine site, north west of Tom Price in the Pilbara region.
The contract included the construction of the Embankment Stage 2 raise for the WFSF to RL 582m. NRW constructed Stage 1 of the WFSF to RL 575m. Stage 2 consisting of 7m raise was constructed using the downstream construction method.
Scope of work included:
- Clear and grub Stage 2 inundation basin (146Ha)
- Recover and stockpile topsoil and subsoil from the Stage 2 inundation basin (595,000 cubic metres)
- 426,000 cubic metres of earthworks including embankment raise, crest road, spillway and seepage collection system
- Construction of the decant structure and access way
- Supply and installation of instrumentation including piezometers, survey points, gauge boards and monitoring bores
- Supply and installation of tailings distribution pipe system
Project completed injury free with a TRIFR of zero
- Successful engagement in the Rio Tinto Critical Risk Management
- Awarded the Project of the Quarter safety award for the period ending December 2016